I wasn’t joking when I said I was going to knit a bobble hat. It’s Gabby’s fault. I saw her sporting this hat at one of the 6 Nations rugby matches and wanted one myself, with a big fluffy feathery pompom atop.
So I got busy, found this pattern on Ravelry and a ball of Stylecraft Life DK in Mixtures Denim in the local yarn shop.
I even knitted up a gauge swatch and from this I decided I needed to go up half a needle size, cast on and started knitting. (I did continue knitting the swatch in the larger needle size to be sure).
But it looks suspiciously small to me.
Very small indeed! More of an ear warmer than a hat
I cajoled my knitting assistant into trying it on for me, and guess what – it fits her. Not that she’s impressed, and neither am I for that matter. It’s never going to stretch enough to fit my head.
I’ve double checked my gauge, and whilst row wise it’s good, 7.5 rows to the inch (not sure how you knit or measure half a row) …
… stitch (width) wise, it’s quarter of an inch smaller than it should be (5 stitches to the inch).
Now I’m wondering dear readers, when measuring swatches, should you stretch rib out a little, or measure in it’s unstretched state – I must have stretched it a little when measuring. I did cast on more than the 5 stitches and knitted more than 7.5 rows, but I think I should have cast on twice as many stitches for the swatch than I did.
You know what I’m going to be doing this afternoon – yep unravelling and knitting another larger swatch to try and get the needle size right.
But at least this was successful. I made a wheat bag yesterday. I’ve added a couple of handfuls of lavender to the wheat – it’s very comforting when warmed up in the microwave and placed against aching muscles and smells lovely.
Jane & Daisy xx
PS, someone got rewarded with a biscuit for being such a lovely patient model.